If you are just starting a project or a business it can be confusing to determine just what type and size of dumpsters will be needed. Before you get too stressed out, keep in mind that when you are looking at rental dumpsters you can usually change sizes later if you find the one you have is either too large or insufficient in size. Dumpsters come in various sizes from 2-yard dumpsters to 40-yard dumpsters, so it is not difficult to get the one that works for you.
Since most people can think of garbage and trash disposal in terms of a pickup truck size, here is an easy way to understand how the sizes of dumpsters can be visualized:
- 2-yard to 8-yard dumpsters – These sizes handle from 1 to 5 pickup loads of materials (14 to 42 garbage bags). They are sufficient for very small jobs such as a small bathroom remodel, smaller yard cleanup, businesses with only minimal trash and carpet removal from one or two rooms.
- 15-yard dumpsters – This size holds about 7 pickup loads of materials. If you are doing a kitchen remodel, this size will probably serve you well. It is also sufficient for most yard cleanups and smaller businesses.
- 20-yard dumpsters – If you have about 10 pickup loads of materials to contend with or expect this amount in your business, this is the appropriate size dumpster to choose. You also need this larger size if you are disposing of larger items such as mattresses, sofas, desks and other furniture. This is the usual size if you are planning a renovation of your entire house if you have an average sized home. It is also a common size for many businesses.
- 30-yard dumpsters – This size can handle about 15 pickup loads of materials and is generally used when building an entire home or renovating a larger home. Businesses such as restaurants that have a large amount of garbage sometimes use this size but more often order a smaller size and arrange for more pickups because of the odor involved.
- 40-yard dumpsters – Here’s the granddaddy of dumpsters with a capacity of about 20 pickup truck loads. This size is hardly ever needed for residential use but can be perfect for some industrial and commercial uses.
If you would like more information about dumpsters, including the various types such as hook and roll-off, give us a call at Best Disposal Inc., located in Lexington, NC. Let us be at your disposal for all jobs big and small, residential and commercial throughout Davidson County!