When you are looking to decrease your carbon footprint, there are actually lots of things that you can do nowadays, and recycling is only one of them. It’s only been in the last several years that being eco-friendly has really caught on with the general population, which gives people many more options for taking care of the environment besides recycling. If you already recycle, but would like to do more, here are a few different ways you can help the environment.
1. Look for less- Less packaging that is! So much of what we recycle is excess plastic and chipboard that comes with packaging. Find brands that use minimal packaging or bring re-usable containers to a store that offers bulk products.
2. Pay more upfront- Often eco-friendly items cost a little more upfront but are better for the environment. Things like solar panels, reusable water bottles, stainless steel straws, energy-efficient appliances and more will all cost you more upfront, but will end up saving you money in the long haul.
3. Learn to compost- We throw away a lot of food. The average family tosses around $1,200 of wasted food each year! Instead, learn to compost these scraps and leftovers into something a garden can use, which brings us to . . .
4. Plant a tree- Trees are good for the environment, good for shade, and good to look at! Add a tree or two to your yard this year!
5. Grow native plants- If you live in a desert, grow desert plants that don’t want constant watering. Additionally, you can take it one step further and grow native food-producing plants for a cost-effective source of food.
What are some things besides recycling that you do to help out the environment? We would love to hear them at Best Disposal Inc.!